NAMI Basics is a 6-session education program for parents, caregivers, and other family members who provide care for youth (ages 21 and younger) who are experiencing mental health symptoms. NAMI Basics is now available online through NAMI Basics OnDemand.
Who Can Take the Course?
Any adult who regularly cares for youth (age 21 and younger) with a mental health condition may participate. The child does not need to have an official diagnosis.
What Will You Gain?
By participating in NAMI Basics, you will realize that you are not alone. You will find support and shared understanding—compassion, reinforcement, and empathy from people who truly get your situation. Your experiences may also help others in the course. Together, you will all learn that recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
NAMI Basics covers:
- The impact mental health conditions can have on your entire family
- Different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and therapies
- An overview of the public mental health care, school, and juvenile justice systems and resources to help you navigate these systems
- How to advocate for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- How to prepare for and respond to crisis situations (self-harm, suicide attempts, etc.)
- The importance of taking care of yourself
- Much, much more
What Are Participants Saying?
“This class was unexpectedly wonderful! I did not expect to learn so very, very much! This program is well written with excellent segues between topics. It covers so much more than BASICS that the title doesn’t do it justice.”
“This is such a great step-by-step program that walks parents every step of the way. It is as if you are holding their hand through it all.”
How Do I Sign Up?
NAMI Basics is now available online through NAMI Basics OnDemand. When you click on the link, you will be prompted to register.
You can also show interest in the program and sign up for updates by clicking this link. Select “Participant Interest,” click on the program that interests you, and enter your details.