CARING FOR MY MENTAL HEALTH
What Can I Do?
Here are some things you can do to take care of yourself and maintain your mental health during this time. Also, remember to keep a safe distance from others, wash your hands frequently, and avoid touching any part of your face. With social distancing, we are coming together as a community to each do our own part to keep each other safe.
- Exercise – YMCA Free Online Exercise Classes
- Have a meal on video chat with a loved one
- Hike – All Trails Hiking
- Journal – Journal Prompts for Mental Health
- Learn – Gale Courses
- Meditate – Insight Timer
- Walk – take a walk around the neighborhood
- COVID-19 Information and Resources – NAMI
- COVID-19 Informacion y Recursos (Available in Spanish)
- Coronavirus: Mental Health Coping Strategies – NAMI
- Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreak – SAMHSA
- Manage Anxiety & Stress – CDC
- How to Care for Yourself While Practicing Physical Distance – Mental Health First Aid
- Living with Worry and Anxiety Amidst Global Uncertainty (Translated into 41 languages)
- COVID-19 Mental Health Resources – The Center for Victims of Torture
INFORMATION ON COVID-19
- 211 – Community Resources
- Three Square – Emergency Food Distribution
- Helping Hands of Vegas Valley – Food Delivery for Seniors
- Nevada Unemployment Insurance Claim
- United Way – Emergency Assistance and Community Needs Fund
- Clark County – CARES Housing Assistance Program
ONLINE THERAPY/SUPPORT GROUPS
NAMI Southern Nevada is working on offering our support groups online. We will be offering Family Support Groups with a prescreening process. In the meantime, you can visit these sites that are offering online support.
Never Give Up Wellness Center – Local Las Vegas agency that offers free mental health support groups via Zoom. If you or a loved one is struggling with mental health or need someone to talk to, call (702) 951-9751 to reserve a spot as space will be limited.
Centre for Interactive Mental Health Solutions (CIMHS) – Free 8-session interactive therapy program for those living with depression.
7 Cups of Tea – Provides free emotional support through trained peer-listeners and chat groups. Online professional therapists are also available at cost.
Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance – Provides online, peer-led support groups for people living with depression and bipolar disorder. DBSA serves peers, young adults, and friends and family members.
Support Groups Central – Offers virtual support groups on various mental health topics. Groups are typically run by mental health professionals from non-profit agencies. Group dates/times vary depending on the topics. Support groups are free or low-cost.
SMART Recovery – Provides free, peer-led support, and chat groups. Conversations are moderated to prevent discrimination or aggression.
This app provides you with education about PTSD, information about professional care, a self-assessment for PTSD, opportunities to find support, and tools that can help you manage the stresses of daily life with PTSD (click on the image to download).
For a full list of online resources visit our NAMI website.
NEED TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE?
Call the NAMI Helpline at 1-800-950-6264 from M-F, 10 AM – 6 PM, ET
Or if you are in a crisis, text NAMI to 741-741 for 24/7, confidential, free crisis counseling
Call or text NAMI CARES Warmline at 1-775-241-4212
A non-crisis phone service that you can call or text to speak one-on-one with a peer who can help you find support in the community or just listen.
In Case of a Crisis
Call the numbers below:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-8255
SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline – 1-800-985-5990