NAMI Homefront is a free, 6-session educational program for families, caregivers, and friends of military service members and veterans with mental health conditions.
Based on the nationally recognized NAMI Family-to-Family program, NAMI Homefront is designed to address the unique needs of family, caregivers, and friends of those who have served or are currently serving our country. The program is taught by trained family members of service members and veterans with mental health conditions.
Who Can Take the Course?
The course is open to any military or veteran family member, partner, or friend interested in learning about mental health conditions experienced by their service members and veterans.
What Will You Gain?
Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all people affected by mental health conditions. This in-person experience provides the opportunity for mutual support and shared positive impact. You will experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
NAMI Homefront teaches you how to:
- Learn to care for yourself, including managing your stress
- Support your family member with compassion
- Identify and access federal, state, and local services
- Stay informed on the latest research and information on mental health, including posttraumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, anxiety, depression, and substance use
- Understand current treatments and evidence-based therapies
- Navigate the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on the entire family
- Manage a crisis, solve problems, and communicate effectively
What Are Participants Saying?
“It’s the first step I have taken to get more involved personally with the VA. The first step I have taken to take care of me.”
“I realized I saw signs and symptoms of PTSD but did not know how to handle my loved one – I know better how to handle situations.”
How Do I Sign Up?
NAMI Homefront is now offered online. The online classes meet weekly in a virtual classroom, so participants experience the same level of interaction and learning as traditional in-person classes. Please click here to register. When you click the link, please scroll down and input your information to register for the noted classes.
You can also show interest in the program and sign up for updates by clicking this link. Select “Participant Interest,” click on the program that interests you, and enter your details.